Art Therapy

Tuesday, March 14, 2006
On yesterday, Dr. Deborah posted about a very interesting subject on her blog which gave me the idea for my post today. She talked about art therapy and all the wonderful benefits it provides for both adults and children.

After reading several websites about it, I discovered that idea of being in touch with your own thoughts and dreams through art and achieving some sense of wellbeing as a result of creating art are very old. However, the discipline of art therapy, which embodies these concepts, has emerged relatively recently. According to the American Art Therapy Association, art therapy is based on the belief that the creative process involved in making art is healing and life-enhancing.

I never thought about my art in a therapeutic way really, although I did know that it seemed to calm me in a way. I suffer from insomnia and anxiety periodically and I knew that drawing would always provide me some comfort especially when I was worrying about something, although I never knew why.

I wanted to share a couple of the drawings I did one night when I was unable to sleep. I don’t do well trying to reproduce images. I do better just making up something.

They are just figments of my imagination and creative process, a process that I never realized was therapy until I read Dr. Deb's blog yesterday.

Any of you that are interested in this, you should really check out her post on this topic!

You would be amazed at how drawing, painting, and other creative processes can relieve stress. Take from someone who knows first hand it's power. Me








This is Superstar Nic

Still "N" Search of Ecstasy and I'm out!

"If you see someone without a smile today, give them one of yours!"

 
posted by Superstar Nic at 7:01 PM, |

15 Comments:

Wow, I would have sworn those were drawing from actual pictures! haha, you're good!
hey, don't knock blue hair (H.A.M.'s)! I have blue hair! Well half of it is blue anyway... if you saw what I was wearing today, haha, you'd prolly have me on yer site....
Interesting...I can't draw worth a dime!

You draw a million times better than I do.
Those are very nice.......Its better than my stick figures...WAAAAAAYYYY better.....does that really help u when u cant' sleep....i never thought to draw....
That is so true. My mother sent my brother and I to various art and music classes when were younger. I paint, and it helps me tremendously.

Your drawings are really good.
painting helps me too. whenever i had a bad day at school i would just start painting. i have a shopping bag full of paint, glue, sequins, calligraphy pens. its enough to keep any kid happy. but i need a huge canvas. like the size of a wall. don't let me get my own house. i'll cover my office w/paint. i love art. my grandmother has her art work all over her house, too.
i love your spot!!!
and i love drawing, painting and creating...
it is stress reliving and it gives you a sense of accomplishment
Creative writing was always my outlet since even as a kid I was self-aware enough to know that my "art" and the "artwork" of most of my classmates sucked. I don't write much anymore since being out of schoool. It's just no fun to me without an audience.

Your drawings are good. Maybe the next time you're having insomnia you could draw some H.A.M.s or their children son of H.A.M.s.
On a unrelated note, did you notice that there is a new movie about a public health person (comedy) coming out?
i love your illustrations, and you're right! expending creative energy is very therapeutic. my writing helps me get through the day, especially those days when i'm not feeling my best emotionally.
Girl, first thangs first.

I have been trying to post a comment for the past fifteen minutes. Shows to go you how DUH I am. I kept clicking the Post Comment/Back Home button, NOT knowing they were different links.

Okay, Okay I know this is TMI, but I kept doing it and I was like "Why is it taking me back to her homepage I want to leave a comment about her drawings!" Girl, I was getting hot I was thinking "Shoo, why she choose this template IF I CAN'T LEAVE ANY COMMENTS". Then I got un-excited and realized my error. DUH! McTricia!

Anyway,

Your drawings are lovely. Especially from someone who can only draw stick people. Very nice.

I think that everyone should have an outlet to relax. Everyone has something different that relaxes them, makes them really be in tune to who they are and removes them from the professional mindset that we are in ninety percent of the time.
Thanks for the compliments on my drawings. I really appreciate it!
I like the new picture of you posted. I have a very close friend who is an art therapist. She is very well known for her art work and her counseling using art. Check out her website at www.fabricswork.com.
I love your drawings.

:)
Deb
NIce new digs! And nice drawings!