And The Oscar Goes To...Three Six Mafia!!!

Monday, March 06, 2006



Three 6 Mafia has pulled off an Oscar for "It's Hard Out Here" on that azz, who woulda thunk it?

Tonight Three Six Mafia became the first rap artists to be nominated and to win at 78th Annual Academy Awards for their song on the Hustle and Flow soundtrack. The movie starred Terrence Howard as a small-time hustler who,like so many of our rap stars, saw the music of the streets as a way out of hisdead-end life. .

Now Three 6 Mafia, a Memphis, Tenn.-based group, can boast the additional honor of belting out the first hip-hop song in Oscar history!

Believe it!!!

Big props have to go out for the nomination. I have loved Triple Six Mafia long for a long time. Back when I was in undergrad I can remember one of my favorite songs "Tear Da Club Up" by them. My most recent favorite is "Poppin My Collar".


Rap has truly come along way and it's about damn time that this genre of music get it's props!


Three Six Mafia Photos












From left to right: DJ Paul, Juicy J, and Crunchy Black.


About the Movie:

DJay, a streetwise Memphis hustler tries to find a voice and realize his long-buried dreams. Though DJay has always had a way with words, that gift has long been misused; this philosopher-hustler lives a dead-end life at the fringes of society. Anything more feels out of reach. Still, DJay wonders what happened to all the big dreams he had for his life.


Terrance Howard did not when for Best Actor,

but I will give him his props for even being nominated!



This is Superstar Nic

Still "N" Search of Ecstasy and I'm out!

"If you see someone without a smile today, give them one of yours!"

 
posted by Superstar Nic at 12:01 AM, |

21 Comments:

Can you please translate or decode what the hell they were saying during their acceptance speech and performance? I only understood the chick singing and maybe every third or fourth verse of one of the Three 6 Mafia guys.
I can tell you the lyrics of the song but not the acceptance speech, LOL.

I have the soundtrack from the movie so I already knew the song.
I wonder what Kanye has to say about all this! LOL
Im Taggin U WOMAN!!!!TAG U ARE IT.
I was so proud and happy I knew ABC was gonna put them on last damn near so I had to stay up til 11.......CONGRATS!!!!!
I like Terrance Howard in any role that he plays...
I'm glad three six mafia is breaking some barriers, even if it is a song like "It's hard out here"
holla!
  At 3/06/2006 9:23 AM Anonymous Anonymous said:
I know right mrs.tj *smile* Glad the one but not liking the fact that it had to be a somewhat degrading song for hip-hop to get recognition.
I was cracking up at how Stewart said it just got easier for a pimp out here and the camera showed Jamie laughing...the oscars were very, very interesting last night.
Still not over that 369, Pimpin aint easy...
I'm sure pimps everywhere took a moment of silence and contemplated life before smacking a hoe after Three 6 won. Nah, not really but it would hilarious if they did.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
what's the world coming to?

lol
Yay Three Six!!!!The best was Jon Stewart's, "Now THAT'S how you win an Oscar!" Also LUUVED the stunned white people reaction when Crash won for best movie. they were prepared to let the Gay cowboys have it. But an ensemble multi-cultural cast in a movie about racism??? THAY COULDNT HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!

I didnt mean to watch the Oscars (no Black women were winning anything) but I wound up blogging while it was on and I watched the show. It was GREAT! Now lets see how the media tries to spin the attention back to some bony white woman immediately after Crash's big win...
I just wrote the same thing on my blog!!
I'm still at a loss for words...
Hey I glad to see the genre of music that they once thought was a fad make it to this level, even if its for a song like "Its Hard Out Here for a Pimp" (smile). I'm not easily offended or embarrassed by rap music lyrics, so of course I loved the entire soundtrack!!!!

Call me the ghetto PhD student, I don't care, LOL.
Well, a lot of people probably were glad Terrance didn't win. He pissed a lot of black folks off when he went on that talk show and said he wasn't black but biracial. Oh? So you were black when you were struggling now you're not black? It's the same thing. He really offended a lot of fans. Also, many think he's changed. He's gotten very arrogant now. But that won't last. People shouldn't burn bridges. Don't change just because you think you're bigger now, please. Anyone can fall back down right?

Also, that rap group (don't know them) but can't you at least dress up for the Oscars? Just because you are a hip-hop group doesn't mean you got to look this tacky on such a big night. That's why I admire rappers like Jay-Z and Diddy who actually have the common sense to dress for the occassion. These folks looked pitiful! You can do this on your video but can't you at least sport a tux at the Oscars? Okay, done with my two cents, LOL.
I was sooo happy to hear that 3 6 Mafia won an Oscar.

Not that Im a fan of them, but Brokeback mountain has to be one of the geyist movies ever... so ive heard.
I'm glad Crash won -- it was such an impressive movie to me.
I have Crash on DVD and once again, it is one of the many movies that I have not watched YET! I have heard alot of really good things about it and base on the subject matter and the reviews that I've heard, I'm glad the movie won to!