Happy Mardi Gras, I guess...

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

When I turned on the news this morning they were talking about the bitter sweet Mardi Gras celebration in New Orleans today. There were people already posted on Canal Street, as well as Napoleon and St. Charles Ave.


Watching the people and listening to the members on the Krewe of Zulu (the first Black Social Club allowed to parade) spoke about their efforts in making sure that their infamous Krewe did roll through the streets of New Orleans today. It just brought tears to my eyes to see my home, the place where I was born and raised struggle to make sure their parades still ran. People that are not from there may not realize the significance of Mardi Gras and how special it is. It is a celebration before the season of Lent which is the represent the 40 days and 40 nights that Jesus spent in the dessert preparing for His ministry. Christians today use this period of time for introspection, self examination, and repentance, and they celebrate prior to this period. Mardi Gras was originally a festival before the "fasting" during the season of Lent. That it is what Mardi Gras continues to be for me and my family.

Having Mardi Gras parades is synonymous with the New Orleans I knew and loved. It was something that I like many others took for granted.




It just brought tears to my eyes. I was just thinking about the 2000 people that are still missing there and the 1000 bodies that have yet to be identified. I think about all those mothers and babies, and the elderly, and poor out there just suffering in the heat with no food or water. It just makes me so sad to think that my New Orleans will never be the same again. Every time I went to New Orleans I would ride by the house that I grew up in and now that home is probably no longer there. It just hurts me to my heart.

But enough about that…



**********************o0O0o***********************



This past weekend I went down to S. Florida with my sister help her find a place to stay. She found a beautiful apartment. A 1200 sqft 2bed/2bth. I mean this place is the bomb! She will be moving on this Friday. Yep, my homey is gonna be outtie.

When I got back in town, I had the hardest time going to sleep Sunday night. It was a combination of not wanting to go to work the next day, coming to grips with my sister moving away, and arguing with my male counterpart. Grrrrrrrrrr…….

~Sigh~

Anyhoo, I stayed up too late Sunday and woke up early on Monday because I’ve started exercising in morning again. That seems to be the only way that I will actually do it. I stayed up a bit too late again last night so now I’m paying for it. I’m telling you, waking up at 5:45am to squeeze in some exercise before work is very hard for a sleepy head like me. I was so sleepy at work today and I’m still sleepy as all hell. As soon as I eat I’m taking my azz to bed tonight. I will not be staying up surfing the net, bloggin, and watching TV tonight!

I've doing about 45 mins/day with my exercise. I just hope that I can maintain. I used to be really committed, but the last couple of months I've been such a damn SLACKER!



For dinner I cooked some White Chicken Chili”. I tried a taste and I must say it is pretty damn good!

Click here for the recipe!







This is Superstar Nic
Still "N" Search of Ecstasy and I'm out!
"If you see someone without a smile today, give them one of yours!"
 
posted by Superstar Nic at 7:13 PM, |

13 Comments:

Love all the pics.
Thanks!

I wanted to put more pics but I felt like the post was already long enough. Maybe I'll post some more tomorrow.
  At 2/28/2006 10:52 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
aint nuthin like that good mardi gras baby....oh yeah we did a phat tuesday thing at my job today...they catered creole food in...it was pretty chill
I can't believe it's Mardi Gras already! And that Ash Wednesday is tomorrow and I really don't feel like fighting the crowds. :/
Get cha workout on girl!
  At 3/01/2006 9:00 AM Anonymous Anonymous said:
Love the pictures! Girl I know what you mean about the missing folks. My friends I went to high school with were from NO and moved back after high school. Their cousins still live in MD and I was told they still have not heard from them. Prayer for the lost and unidentified and Honor & Praise for the saved.
white chili is the best!!!!! i've never seen the seasoning... i'll have to look for that. i usually do mine from scratch... i have made it in awhile because of that...maybe i'll make it this weekend.

i wish my sisters would move far away!!!!
I tried gettin up early in the morning didn't work too well I love to sleep lol..so I walk during lunch which is working out pretty good....
I was always told the locals avoid Mardi Gras because of the tourists. Learn something new everyday.

Have you been to New Orleans since the hurricane? If not do you plan to visit?
white chicken chili huh....i might add that to my list of items to cook mi familia...
  At 3/01/2006 1:39 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
With you on that getting up at 5 am ish and getting in the gym. I've done it for 3 months now. It gets easier, but it is a hard azz adjustment.
Hey Nic! Thanks for the pics. Gonna have to try that chilli..I think.. lol

PS - I've been going to yoga class every week!! We're making progress! Baby steps, baby steps..
I havent been to your site in a longgg time! I love the new layout. Its cute. And the new profile picture is very pretty. Take care,
Drea