Honoring Martin Luther King Jr.

Monday, January 16, 2006
Okay, I think I’m feeling a little better today cause I’m up on the blog.

I’m finally free from my fever. Yep, my current temperature 98.4.

YEAH!!!!!

This is the first time my temp has gone down since I got sick!

And since I'm feeling better and today is a special day, I've dedicated today blog to remembering Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and his legacy.

Today's the 20th anniversary of the first nationwide celebration of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday. All over the country civic groups, universities, and every day citizens are moving beyond ceremonial commemorations -- and color lines -- to promoting community service and education about King's legacy.

Millions of people across the country are remembering slain civil rights leader Martin Luther King on this national holiday in his honor. Today's holiday marks his 77th birthday.
Where I live, I know that there was a "March to the Capital", which to of my sisters participated in this morning. I was invited to participate, but there was no way that my body was ready yet. I'm start to get over whatever bug I've had. But I'm not THAT well yet! There was also a parade and numerous church activities held here in honor of King's memory.

King has been praised as a prophet whose dream has not been fully achieved, by Rev. Jesse Jackson. He said blacks are free but not equal in life expectancy, access to education and infant mortality. This is painfully true. Why is it that blacks fall so short in so many areas, especially when it comes to health and education?

Most Americans believe there has been significant progress in achieving King's dream of racial equality, though blacks are more skeptical. Racial integration has swept across much of American life and blacks have gained economic ground since the height of the civil rights movement. I personally feel that we as a people have come a long way, but we also have a VERY long way to go! Things in this country could be alot better. Racism and inequality still exists in 2006!

Two decades ago, the government established a federal holiday in honor of the slain civil rights leader. Martin Luther King would turn over in his grave if he thought he was recognized by a day of shopping and rest," said former Sen. Harris Wofford , D-Pa., who worked with Rep. John Lewis of Georgia to establish the holiday as a day of service.


What are your thoughts about today's special holiday?

What does it mean to you?

Does it mean anything?







Photo Gallery Featuring King





The King family is pictured at home in Atlanta: from left, Martin Luther King III, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Coretta Scott King, Dexter, 4, and Yolanda, 9. June 20, 1965.


The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. looks at the glass door of his rented beach cottage in St. Augustine, Fla., that was shot into on June 5, 1964. No one was in the house at the time of the shooting. King was in St. Augustine to meet with other integration leaders.

The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. is welcomed with a kiss by his wife Coretta after leaving court in Montgomery, Ala., March 22, 1956. King was found guilty of conspiracy to boycott city buses in a campaign to desegregate the bus system, but a judge suspended his $500 fine pending appeal.

The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. acknowledges the crowd at the Lincoln Memorial for his "I Have a Dream" speech during a march on Washington, D.C., on Aug. 28, 1963. About 250,000 people attended the march to urge support for impending civil-rights legislation.



Above is a photo of the Lorraine Motel, where Rev. King was assassinated on April 4, 1968. The former hotel has been preserved as a memorial to King and is now the site of the National Civil Rights Museum. It is located at 450 Mulberry St. Memphis, Tennessee.

The image above is a picture of the wanted poster for James Earl Ray. A little more than two months after King's death, on June 8, 1968, Ray, an escaped convict who had broken out of the Missouri State Penitentiary a year before the assassination, was captured at London's Heathrow Airport while trying to leave the United Kingdom on a false Canadian passport in the name of Ramon George Sneyd. Ray was quickly extradited to Tennessee and charged with King's murder, confessing to the assassination.




Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. delivers his most famous address, "I have a dream":

Listen to the speech here



This is Superstar Nic

No Where Near Ecstasy and I'm out!

"If you see someone without a smile today, give them one of yours!"

 
posted by Superstar Nic at 2:23 PM, |

22 Comments:

beautiful and moving tibute Nic!

and I'm glad you're feeling better, i was just coming by to see how you were doing.

you are right, MLK Day is taken as just another day of resst and shopping mostly.

I usually attend a march and speech held in Lexington but had to work today.
First I want to say that I love your tribute...it is awesome girl:)

I was listening to the speech you provided and the same tears I cried the frist time I heard it came flowing again...what an awesome speech and what an awesome man:)

Just chking in ma:)
ever hear about Jesse Jackson, supposedly knowing that King was going to get shot?
Mwabi Thanks for checking on me. I think I’m gonna make it! That sucks you had to work today.

Ms. Dee Dee Yes, he was truly an awesome man. I’m happy to hear that his speech still moves you. There are so many people that don’t even care! Thanks for checking in on me!

Rell Damn! No, I’ve never heard that before! Interesting.
now i wanna do something to celebrate this day. hmmm what should i do?
Nice tribute!

Strangely enough you helped me with an MLK assignment for one of my classes!

He was a fine looking brotha! Yes indeed and smart too! Hmph! Lemme stop! LOL

Glad your feeling better hun!
Charles You can reflect on how your life would have been had King not made the sacrifices that he made. For example, if things had stayed the way that they were in King’s days, you may not have had this wonderful opportunity to go to college.

LadyNay Yes, I’m trying my best to get better! I’m glad I was able to help you out with one of your assignments (smile).
yea that's been a conspiracy theory for a few years -- that Jackson conspired with J. Edgar Hoover and others to have King assassinated so that Jackson could become THE black leader, with the promise that he would cooperate with the government.
Pink D Yeah, I love that song to. I wanted to hear it today myself but I didn’t either.

Rell WOW ... Oh my goodness! I had no clue. I hope that this is not true, but in the corrupt world that we live in there is no telling what people might do. Hmmmm, that’s interesting. I wonder when the truth will come out!!!!!!
I am glad that you are feeling better. Thanks for the love yesterday. Tell my soror I hope that she had a wonderful Founders' Day. I know a many a folk from Beta Alpha. Speaking of FAMU, my fiance and his sister went there.

The teacher in me loves that you chose to highlight the life of Dr.King today. You would be surprised how many young people don't know the deal.
you're an AKA?
D I’m glad you enjoyed the post!

Accomplice Yes, I fighting my way back. I thought I was doing really good until I decided to go get me something to eat. That little short trip outta house just about whooped my azz, LOL. Shoot and I thought I was better!
Rell No, not me, but 3 of my sisters are! There is also one delta in the family (smile).
Great post, I found it via blog search... I too posted on MLK Jr., take a look if you want, i'd love to establish a reciprocal link with you... let me know...

www.debaterelatepontificate.blogspot.com
Very nice post Nic. I absolutely LOATHE Jesse Jackson for so many reasons. Glad you're feeling better.
Glad U feelin' betta ma!
peace
Thanks for all of the well wishes and I'm glad that everyone seems to have enjoyed to MLK post today!
Oh I love it Nic!!!

I think the best thing we can do to show appreciation and honor Dr. King's legacy is by taking advantage of EVERY opportunity that he paved the way for.

I didn't do any shopping, but I did enjoy my day off. We went to the Blacks in Wax Museum in Baltimore. No matter how many times I go, I'm moved to tears. The horrific treatment our ancestors had to endure is brought to life in wax and it seems so real. It's like a hands on peek into our history. When you leave, there's a whisper that says "Never Forget." It's amazing and my family loves it.

Anyhoo, great post Nic and I'm glad you're feelin betta!!

And just a quick note for readers of other persuasions (lol), yesterday (Jan 15th) was Dr. King's 77th birthday. Today (Jan 16th) is a day THE MAN "picked" to observe him (lol).
lest we forget!
Great post!! I especailly enjoyed the photo gallery.
I am so glad to hear that you're doing much better ma!!!

I love the post you did real good gurl....*smile*

~Smooches~