First Day at the New Job

Saturday, December 17, 2005
I completed my first day on the job with much success!

I am so glad that it is over with, that I don’t know what to do. At first, I really did not want to start on a Friday. I mean who would? But it really has its advantages because it gave me the opportunity to go in there, check things out and then have couple of days off to let it all soak in.

I woke up yesterday with a complete sense of calmness. I wasn’t nervous or anything surprisingly. I got ready and headed out for my first day in my new world.

When I got there, I started to get butterflies. The nervousness was back!

But I just walked in, I noticed that there was a banner up that said “Welcome Nicoletta and Barbara”. I was like ‘wow’, that’s pretty nice. Plus I better knowing that it was someone else’s first day to.

I was greeted by one of my new coworkers with very warm reception. She gave the other newbie and I the office tour. Everyone there was so incredibly nice. I just couldn’t believe that I was doing all of that worrying and then things turned out just fine.

I hooked up with another one of my new coworkers so that I could get the low down on the office. She told me that she had worked there for 3 years and that she loved it. She said I will love it to.

My new supervisor, who is 2nd in command for the division that I work in was not there for my first day (if you could believe that), so I did not get to interact with her yet. But coworker did say that she is a very cool and down to earth lady and that she is very nice. I was told by at least 3 different people that it is a very close knit department and that people really enjoy working there. This made me feel even more comfortable.

When they took me to my new office, there was another banner on my door that said “Welcome Nicoletta”. I walked in and looked around and thought to my self, this is not too bad.

I found out that I will be going on my first out of town conference next month. Yes, January 23-26, I will be in San Antonio, TX. I was like “WHOA”. I guess they don’t know yet how afraid of flying I am, LOL. I’ve flown before, but I still don’t like it. In addition to that, I have 2 trips to Atlanta scheduled for June 2006. Now that I loved, because I can visit my sister while I'm up there. I was excited about that.

So, on my first day I find out that I have 3 out of town trips to go on within the first six months. Unbelievable!!! I’ve never had a job that traveled before!

The work that I will be doing seems like it will be very interesting. It reminds me so much of the work I've done in school that it's hard to believe that it's ACTUALLY WORK. Some of the materials they want me to read look like my school text books!

I did not do much my first day, but look over some information that my supervisor left for me and just try to get my office organized the way that I want it.

Its only been one day, but so far, so good and I really think that I might like it, but time will tell…..


On another note, these are the things I have to get used to since I have a new job:


  • Being on time
  • Limited personal phone calls
  • Staying off the internet
  • No blogging at work


Now this part sux!!! Oh well, I guess you can't have everything.


This is Superstar Nic

Still "N" Search of Ecstasy and I'm out!

"If you see someone without a smile today, give them one of yours!"
 
posted by Superstar Nic at 5:03 PM, |

21 Comments:

I knew everything would work out for you!!!

I have a job that travels from time to time too and I'm not fond of flying, but I do it. Just get yourself a stiff drink or some good drugs and say a prayer and you'll be fine.

I have a no blogging rule at work too, although I will surf, I won't post. It'll be easy to do once you get the hang of it.

Now that on time thing, I've never been able to master. I live 5 minutes from work now and I'm always 5 minutes late, WTF is that about? LOL
@ Shawn – Yes, you were right. Things did turn out just fine (smile).

Yeah, Imma have to get used to not posting blogs at work. Most of the time that’s when I would do it. LOL.

I see you have the same time issue as I have, LOL. I really have to get my shyt together girl. I did it though, so I know that it can be done, I just would prefer to hit that snooze button a few more times :-)

I wished I lived as close to work as you do. I used to be about 15 mins away from the other job, but now its double that at least 30 mins on a good day! :-(
Congratulations on the new job and getting through the first day. Friday is an odd day to start a new job but like you said at least you get a couple days off between your first and second day.
@ Freak D -- Thanks!

At first I hated the idea of starting on Friday, but now I'm so glad that I did!
Wow! Banners and all. It sounds like you'll love it.

Now about Atlanta in June...we gotta get with GP and have a lil bget together - a blog meet up :)
Glad everything worked out on the first day.
I understand the nervousness... it comes custom, with new work.

Hope all goes well, and that you work your way to the top! Believe.
Congradulations Ecs...don't even know ya' and I'm proud of you:-) Very stragetically done with the Friday thing.

As an HR Mgr myself, I'd definitely welcome you in with open arms, blogging, lateness, online shopping and all, LOL
@ Mwabi – Yes, we must hook w/GP in ATL and have us a bloggers get together!

@Crallspace – Thanks….I’m glad that is worked out to cause I was very nervous, but I don’t have to worry about that any more :-)

@ Big Trev – LOL, thanks. I hoping that eventually, they’ll let me do some of those things to, especially the “being late” part!
  At 12/17/2005 8:53 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
What up, Crazy!!!

So, u made it through your first day!! Good for you!! WOW, they had banners up, uh-oh. We don't even do that. (note to self) jk. I'm glad it went well.
What's up Crazy White Girl!!!

I'm missing ya dawg. It's gonna be so different going to work and not having my buddy there :-(

Don't you wanna try to get a job over there with me? j/k

Anyways, yes I made. It seems like its gonna be okay and I pray that it will be. Its very different from what I'm used to though!

Take care homie!!!
Congrats on the new job. It sounds promising. I mean banners with your name on it...wow!

It's cool you're getting to travel. When I started my gig over 8 years ago, I thought I would have work related travel. But that didn't quite pan out.
Thanks E !!!

I think that it sounds promising to. I just hope that the promise is kept ;-)
Congrats on your job. Those are the best when other workers love the place. A good supervisor-you got it made in the shade...
cant wait to read about what this job holds in store for you. keep us updated!
I love your job! I'm jealous! I won't get to travel when I become a Sociology professor, haha, oh well.

Congrats on the job! I'm glad you like it!
Wow, it seems like you work with a nice bunch of folk!

I am sure once you get in good, you'll find a way to get a lil net time in.
THAT'S what I'm talkin' about. I knew it would all be perfectly cool.

Yeah, I have that no-blogging-at-work rule, but mine is more of a 'no blogging via the work PC' kinda thing. LOL I just take my laptop to work and write on that. I have a private office and my desk faces the door, and then I have my laptop set up where it isn't visible to anybody who could walk in anyway. I don't even use their network to connect to the Internet. (just call me One Slick Sista...lol) Now when I leave the firm, that's when I might have problems--unless I'm ready to be completely self-employed by then, but we'll see. Anyway, glad to hear the first day was okay. Just be sure to stay positive and optimistic no matter what.
i'm glad your first day went smoothly. i knew it would. i told you that you'll have that office singing your tune in a month..it might be sooner. congrats...

now how can i get in on this blogger's get together. i visit atl quite frequently...holla at a sista!! lol
Thanks guys!!!

You all supported me through this transition and I appreciate all of the advice and words of encouragement!

Traveling is a very nice perk of this job!
I'm late posting but I'm glad that they welcomed you warmly. It's sounds like it's a great place to work. Now you should be able to tell us some juicy stories about your travels.
@ Laa Laa - Yeah I hope so! I will be taking my first trip in about a month.