Richard Pryor

Tuesday, December 13, 2005



Richard Franklin Lennox Thomas Pryor III (December 1, 1940 – December 10, 2005)


Wow what a name!!!



I’m sure that most of you have heard by now about the death of Richard Pryor. He was such a talented, inspiring, and courageous man, that I wanted to honor him in my blog today.

About the Man Named Richard

His first professional performance came at age 7, playing drums at a night club. Now, in today’s society could you imagine a seven year old playing in a nightclub? The child welfare authorities would have surely removed him from his caregivers by today’s standards.

Pryor was a pioneering comedian and a gifted storyteller. He was known for his ‘no holds bar’ examinations of race relations and customs in modern life. Pryor shattered many barriers for American stand-up comedians and helped to pave the road to success for comedians such as Dave Chappelle, Robin Williams, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Arsenio Hall, David Letterman , and countless others. This man inspired so many people.

A series of hit comedies and concert films in the '70s and '80s helped make Pryor one of Hollywood's highest paid stars, and he was one of the first black performers with enough leverage to cut his own deals. In 1983, he signed a $40 million, five-year contract with Columbia Pictures. Did you know that he has won several Emmy's and 5 Grammy's?

His films included "Jo Jo Dancer, Your Life is Calling," "Stir Crazy," "Silver Streak," "Which Way Is Up?", "Brewster's Million", "The Toy" and "Richard Pryor Live on the Sunset Strip." I have to admit that "Brewster's Million" and "The Toy" were my favorites. I've seen them both a dozen times, LOL.



He even wrote scripts for the show "Sanford and Son", now THAT I did not know!


Pryor battled drug and alcohol addictions for years after becoming a huge success. He lived dangerously close to the edge: both on stage and in real life. But, after nearly losing his life in 1980 when he caught on fire while freebasing cocaine, he turned the experience into laughs in his later routines, telling audiences how quickly the flames sobered him up. Pryor said, "when fired hits yo' azz, you sober up real quick boy"! LOL

I'm not sure what exactly it is about the pressures of Hollywood that drives so many performers to alcohol and drugs. I can't even image the daily struggles. For me, it's tough just being an 'average Joe', so I guess it shouldn't be hard for me to see how the pressures of high society could push someone to the breaking point.

He died of cardiac arrest at the age of 65 in Encino, California. He was pronounced dead at a local hospital at 7:58 a.m. Pacific Time on December 10, 2005. He was brought to the hospital after his wife's attempts to resuscitate him failed. His wife was quoted as saying "at the end, there was a smile on his face." Despite his health troubles, he was happy and in good humor in his final days. What a champion!

Funeral services will be private with a memorial service by invitation only. Can you imagine how many dern invitations they are going to have to send out? Whoa!

He was is survived by his wife Jennifer Lee Pryor and his six children; Richard Junior, Elizabeth Storder, Rain Kindlin, Kelsey, Steven and Franklin Mason, and his three grandchildren.

He will be soarly missed, but will forever live in on thousands and thousands of hearts. The mark he made on this world will continue to impact and inspire people with his truth and his pain, which he turned into brilliant comedy!

How well did you know the "Original King of Comedy"? Well we'll see....

Take the quiz about Pryor here!


Watch Pryor at his best here:

Pryor as president on "The Richard Pryor Show"

Richard Pryor Stand-up



More Links:

Richard's Official Website

Richard Pryor Photo Gallery

Richard Pryor - Filmography





“N” Search of Ecstasy and I’m out!

"If you see someone without a smile today, give them one of yours!"
 
posted by Superstar Nic at 12:02 PM, |

12 Comments:

that was a sweet little tribute! as a young'n i wasnt exposed to the majority of his work, so i thought i'd just enjoy these tributes instead of fuckin' one up on my own. good job
I'm so glad someone else remebered 'The Toy'. I loved him in that movie.

Great tribute.
@ Charles - Thanks! I enjoyed him alot when I was growing up to.

@ Mwabi - Yes, 'The Toy' was one of my favorites, if not the favorite Richard Pryor movie for me!
Great tribute. I'm old enough to remember listening to some of his material on cassettes and LPs. He will be missed.
I remember sneaking listening to my mother's albums. Another great Richard Pryor movie is JoJo Dancer, it's semi-autobiographical.
@ Shawn and Freaky D -- LOL, it seems like we all used to listen to his stand up on albums.

I can remember clearly laughing hysterically, but I cannot remember what he was talking about. I just remember it being funny as hell.
I'm gonna Ms. Mr. Mudbone. ;o)
the best write up on rich i've seen online. see, this is why i come here. to get my laugh on AND my knowledge on.

oh, and cuz you're sweet, too.
@ Serial -- I's gonna miss him to ;-)


@ Nikki -- Thank you honey!!
LADY Exstasy - thanky ou for your tribute to Richard Pryor. I also did a personal tribute to him on my blog.

He has touched a generation of comics and will be missed. Actually, he has been missed since the 90s.

I hate that MS took away his speech and timing. I wonder what he thinks about Dave Chapelle, and Eddie and Martin and the Kings of Comedy.

I wonder what would the Emmys and Oscars have been like had he ever hosted.

I wonder what witty things he would have to say about R. Kelly and Wacko Jacko.

We will never know, but I can only imagine I would have been on the floor in glorious pain from the laughter
@ Accomplice

You know, I did not think about that. It must have been a horrible ordeal for her. Trying to resuscitate your own husband or anyone that you love for that matter and then they don't make it. Wow!!! I can't even imagine.

I sincerely hope that she is able to find closure to. Something like that can have traumatic effects.
  At 12/15/2005 10:41 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
Richard Pryor will truly be missed!! He is one of my favorite comedians of all time. I love that he was able to laugh about his mistakes and rough times rather that trying to cover them up and hide them. CWG a.k.a kfletch999