Should Stanley 'Tookie' Williams Be Granted Clemency?

Thursday, December 08, 2005




Could politics and history be on Stanley Tookie Williams's side today when the founder of the murderous Crips gang asks Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to spare his life for killing four people during two robberies 26 years ago?

Stanley Tookie Williams was born December 29, 1953 in New Orleans, LA (my home town). He along with Raymond Washington, founded the Crips, one of the most widely-known and notorious street gangs ever!

He was convicted and sentenced to death for the murder of four people in two separate incidents (at a convenience store and a motel in 1979), although he has professed his innocence from the beginning. This proclamation of innocence is crippling him in the since that in clemency and parole hearings, they want to 'hear' and 'know' that you are sorry for the crimes for which you've been imprisoned. But how can you profess apologies for a crime that you did not commit? This is HIS claim.

In prison, he later became an anti-gang crusader while on death row . Williams, now 51, is scheduled to be executed just after midnight on December 13, 2005 by lethal injection. His attorneys have a clemency hearing scheduled today, December 8, 2005,with Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, as the Governor has finally agree to entertain the idea.

Death row inmate Tookie Williams has been called a "secret weapon" for helping black men stay out of gangs, by the head of the NAACP traveled across California on Tuesday. The organizations leader feels that Williams' life should be saved, so he can save the lives of others.


Snoop Dogg and other Supporters attended the San Quentin prison rally Williams on 11/19/2005 to protest the death sentence. Snoop Dogg is begging Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to "do the right thing" and grant a convicted multi-murderer clemency. Many feel that he is helping to save troubled youth across the world and I can definitely agree with this to. Governor Schwarzenegger is also an advocate for helping troubled youth through California state programs. Will this mean that perhaps he may not let a man, who is now good die?





A biographical feature film, featuring Jamie Foxx as Williams, was made in 2004, entitled Redemption: The Stan Tookie Williams Story.












Coincidentally, Williams is scheduled for execution on Foxx's birthday, December 13th. Now how ironic is that?












Nicoletta’s Take on the Situation

To be honest I have very missed feelings about capital punishment and to tell you the truth, it’s because I never really thought about it. It’s not something that has ever come up as the topic of discussion between me and any of my friends. I’ve never been a victim of a violent crime, nor has anyone that I am close to, so I guess in that since I cannot relate to the ‘victims’ point of view on the subject.

But I can say that I do believe in redemption. Do I think that everyone on death row that claims to have been redeemed deserves clemency? No, I can’t say that. I have nothing to base that kind of opinion on. But Williams is different to me. He has been nominated 5 times for the Nobel Peace Prize for his work in helping to prevent gang violence. I’ve seen the good that has come from his work. I’ve seen young men turn their “gang bangin” lives around because of the lessons taught but this man. If he is saving others, isn’t his OWN life worth saving to?

What are your thoughts?


Find More Information Here:

Save Tookie

Stanley Williams from Wikipedia

Timeline of Tookie's Life

Execution and Clemency in California


Sign the Petition:

Petition For Williams




This is Nicoletta


Still “N” Search of Ecstasy and I’m out!



"If you see someone without a smile today, give them one of yours!"
 
posted by Superstar Nic at 10:02 AM, |

20 Comments:

  At 12/08/2005 11:12 AM Anonymous Anonymous said:
Nic,
Just wanted to let you know that I enjoy reading your blogs.......... Please don't let them stop of I will have to get a petition going around!!
Have a great day and keep up the good bloggin!!! :)
  At 12/08/2005 12:11 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
Now this is interesting because he maintains his innocence for the 4 murders and I can understand his rally for pardon on that, BUT for starting one of the most notorious gangs and black male on black male slaughter that is now a way of life for inner city FAMILIES (yes, grandmas are down with this @^%^&) and now it is cool for the Chinese, Latino and other races to be part of this mindset of being a natural born killer, dominated by color and handsigns - leave this to deaf people. But I guess they are deaf (can't hear) and think they are def (cool) and love def (death). Looks like after seeing your boy get shot in the head or a kid by a stray bullet you would stop and think that it is not the white man holding me down, but another black man.
Of all the mentality that they is beat into them - getting jumped in,is not showing love or loyalty, that is another reason I did not pledge you can't whoop my ass, take my car, my man and my money and then call me sister. BITCH!!
Live by the knife, gun and die by the same - that is what they preach. He does not want a last meal or any minister to pray etc. he said on Tavis - it is ridiculous for the people that are going to kill me to give me a last meal. And I do not want clergy - so in addition to not confessing (if he didn't okay), but not being sorry for the years of war and slaughter via organized militia on his people establishing the Crips and other retaliant groups. Too little too late. He is not Nobel Prize material - he is trying to give a solution to a problem that he created, that is not to be awarded. If he was someone not affiliated and then spoke against it - I can see that. That's like Hugh Hefner doing a campaign for virginity, no sex before marriage and size b cups are beautiful - and then get an image award. Doesn't match!!!!
Oh yeah, if he is appointed a minister he wants Farrakhan.
I do not agree with the death penalty because that is someone's baby. The irony he has executed many a people on the street by his own hand, command and/or the 30 - 40 years of brainwashing mentality and subserviant behavior and he is mad that the "oppressor" is going to execute him versus someone on the street.
It's time to grow up - I do think people change, but we are also accountable for our actions. No, to the execution, but yes, to life in prison.
Killing him will not bring the people back. He is doing some goodthings now so let him live is what i say.
@ Anonymous #1 -- I will definitely try to keep the blogs coming!

@ Anonymous #2 -- You raised some EXCELLENT POINTS!!! I loved the "Hugh Hefner" comment! And you're right, even if he didn't commit THESE crimes, he has certainly committed dozens of other and for that he should remain in prison. I just do not necessarily agree w/the death sentence.

@ Stone -- Thanks for dropping in and voicing your opinion on this. I say let him live out his life in prison to. But unfortunately, he may be used as an 'example'!
i agree with anonymous #2. but, i am for the death sentence. i believe an eye for an eye. but its kind of hard to kill someone who has not admitted to killing anyone you know. i don't think they should kill him but i think he should rot in prison for what he did do as A#2 pointed out. you know if he never started the Crips he wouldn't have had to become anti-gang. maybe someone else would have but his life would have been different and he might not be where he is today.
Whether or not he killed those people or not is irrelevant, there is DNA technology that could decide that, but they don't want to do all of that.

He is BLACK, and that is the only reason why there is all of this hoopla. If he were white he would have been given a new trial, given clemency, pardon whatever you call it, and would have been let go.

The bottom line is Race people. He's just another black man caught up in the mix.
Hold on -I'm coming back after I read the post.

My mouth is wide open after watching Gwen Steffani. Is this for real? *trying to find words*

Oh my *trying to find words*

ok absolutely no words!
Hapee you didn't know Gwen was black? i knew that back when she was w/ NoDoubt. i always wondered when she was going to go solo. that white girl can sang!!!
Nice post, I did one on this subject also, I think yours is better.
  At 12/08/2005 4:03 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
Please don't blame it on race.... that gets old everytime something goes wrong we say it is a black thing we need to stand up and know that is not always the truth!
  At 12/08/2005 4:23 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
I'm sorry but this is not a racial issue. If he was originally sentenced to death then that is what he should get. He can't win an appeal if he doesn't admit to his wrong doing. I have heard of many white folks who had been sentenced to death try to get out of it by showing they had changed thier ways, blah blah blah....what happened? They got what they were sentenced to....DEATH, whether they be white, mexican, indian, italian...it doesn't matter.Why? Because of what they did, and the sentence they received for their actions. Like others said.....they would not be doing such positive things now if it weren't for the negative acts they performed in the past. This man should not be treated any different. Whatever was origianlly sentenced should still stand. Regardless, if he has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, wrote a childrens book, or was anti-gang hoopla. I guess it took him starting the gang before he realized he wanted to be against it...
I def agree that it's not a race issue... I haven't gotten the chance to read all your posts yet, but as sooon as the semester is over, I plan on it! Thanks for stopping by my page.

-mel
wow, that is very ironic.

I watched the BET special. From what I can tell the evidence that convicted him was sketchy at best. I don't think it's a stretch to say that the conviction was more about his affliation with the gang...founding the gang.

I'm not so much concerned that after his "redemption" he may still be executed, but that if he's innocent this is grave injustice!

Not considering his claim of innocence...not considering his redemption, because many people change their hearts after so many years in prison...But looking solely at evidence, there is doubt in my mind.

Great post.
i disagree with trent, its not about race, its about economics. if he was a rich black man, it might be a different story.

anyways, if he did the murders, he deserves life in prison. im against the death penalty. any ammount of good he did afterwards is irrelevant.

people like snoop dogg endorsing him is not going to help anyway
@ Kool – Good point about him starting the Crips. I guess he is making up for the wrong he done in his life.

@ Trent – I wonder about why they have not used the DNA tech in this particular case. It seems like they would when a man’s life is at stake. It could be that they just want him dead. Some feel that even if he didn’t do these they KNOW he’s done others.

@ Hapee – Yes ma’am honey. The first time I ever heard of her is when she was doing a song with Eve back a few years ago. You didn’t know!!!

@ Boss – Thank you!! That’s a wonderful compliment.

@ Anonymous#3 – You’re right in that it is not ALWAYS about race, but race does and always will play a SIGNIFICANT role in the society we live in. I’ll save the reast of my comments on RACE for another post ;-)

@Crazy – I’ll have to admit you make a good argument. Perhaps those of you who feel he should be executed may have a point. Maybe it shouldn’t matter if a person turns their life around. I don’t know???? I like I said, I have very mixed feelings about this.

@ meljoy – Thanks for stopping by. Good luck with your finals!!!

@Brownsoul – You see, I’m not so sure about him being guilty of this PARTICULAR crime either. I honestly believe that they just wanted him behind bars and they didn’t have the evidence to imprison him for the crimes he did commit, so this was their ticket to putting him in prison! They just wanted the ‘Founder of the Crips” punished and behind bars. I am not saying that he has not done anything that warrants him being in jail, but when you are talking about an execution --- it mandates that they be POSITIVE that he was the actual killer and not just a scapegoat!

@Charle X – You’re bringing up another very good point. Money does talk and bullshit runs a marathon! I did hear some news journalist saying that Snoop is not a ‘good’ advocate for the cause because of his past history…..but at the same time doesn’t he demonstrate that a gang banger can turn around and give up a life of crime?


Great posts everyone!!!!
Great question. My show just ran a psa for Tookie. I did love Jamie in the movie.
Wow....Very powerful comments!!!!

I agree that you definitely made some extremely valid points. I often wonder would he have had such a change of heart and change in his ways had he remained a member of free society.

Your point about he ‘change of heart’ could very well be just a means to get clemency, who knows. I just checked the web and the Governor still has not made a decision yet on this. He is getting down to the wire though now……
another thought, why havent they killed Charles Manson yet...
@ Trent -- Good question! I don't know but for some reason they have not executed very many of the inmates out there.....I can tell you one thing, time is running out for old Tookie. He has less than 12 hours and the only thing that can save him now is the "Terminator"!

Scary ain't it?
It's official, Tookie will die tonight/tomorrow morning. It was just published that the governor denied clemency, which means Tookie will be executed @ 12:01 pacific time!