Today's My Last Day...

Thursday, December 15, 2005
Well, I can’t believe it. Today is my last day working here at the university.

It’s windy, wet, rainy, and cold. Now how is this for a coincidence. It sorta reflects how I feel (partially at least)! The other part of me feels like bright, warm sunshine beaming....

~~Sigh~~

As I drove to work this morning, late as usual, I could not help but think about the fact that this would be my last time taking this route to work. As I pulled into the parking lot, it was on my mind, “I can’t believe that today is my last day”!

When I got to my desk, there was a card attached to my computer monitor. On the outside the card read “Good Luck”. I wondered who it was from. I opened it and one thing in particular that it said was:

"God can dream bigger dreams!"

This so true because he really opened this door for me. I thought that the card was so sweet! Thanks Lisa!!

I have been very anxious all week. I have very mixed emotions about leaving the job I have now to start a new one. Most people in my situation would be ecstatic and overjoyed, but I cannot say that I feel that way. For me, getting this new job is bitter sweet.

It’s strange....I promise you; this new job is almost like a 'dream come true'. I love the health promotion field. I love health education and a part of my new job duties include designing educational materials for physicians offices throughout the state of Florida. I will also be coordinating and designing evaluation plans for chronic disease programs. My areas of specialization as far as my education goes IS chronic disease prevention, so the reality of it is that this job is perfect for me, even my dissertation committee agrees that it could not be a better position out there for me right now.

I have wanted to work for this agency for the last 5 years, but they always said that I did not have enough experience. Now, that I’ve finally a gotten “the perfect job”, why can’t I get excited?

Why can’t I show more enthusiasm?

My coworkers keep asking me “are you ready” ?

I’m like “no, well sorta….I will be”.

People ask “are you excited”?

I’m like “yeah”. But the reality is I can’t really describe what I feel.

What I feel is a combination of excitement, anxiety, fear, happiness, and sadness. I’m happy that I got the job, but at the same time I will really miss my coworkers. We are like family here and I’ve never had a job where everyone got along so well and really cared about one another like we do here.

I feel anxiety because "what if I’m going into an environment where there is no fun coupled with haters and back stabbers"?

I feel fear because what if I can’t do the job? What if it’s too much? I don’t want to be a failure. This position is going to require that I be able to calculated health statistics for diseases throughout the state and have journal articles published based on the information that I produce. That’s a lot of pressure!!! What if I can’t do it?

Everyone keeps saying, “Nic, you’re gonna be fine”. But I am still SCARED!!!

Having a position like this is also exciting! I mean often to you get the opportunity to work in you specific field of study? Let me tell you, it’s not very often. Like I said, it took me five years to get this type of job!

Anyhoo, let me run. My coworker and I are supposed to be doing lunch today to celebrate my new job and my last day here. The question is will we venture out into the or just order in? Hmmmmmm, who knows?


This is Superstar Nic

Struggling to Accept Ecstasy Today
&
I'm out!

"If you see someone without a smile today, give them one of yours!"
 
posted by Superstar Nic at 10:33 AM, |

32 Comments:

New things are always scary at first. Good Luck, Gurl! I hope you get to take some time off before you get to the new position...
Peace and Blessings
Girl you're going to be fine! It's just the jitters. You are going to excel and be awesome in new position. They are going to come from all over the country, no the world looking for you and your expertise. Don't worry about your new co-workers, I'm sure you'll blend it fine.
  At 12/15/2005 1:03 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
WTF??? Who is this girl sitting in for N Search of Ecstacy? The whole world is full no fun (until you make it) and haters (you know) and back stabbers (you went to FAMU and that was one of the 100's most played songs)- if your man was whoever you think is the tightest man - DAvid Banner. He wants to be with you, get married and the rest who care about the haters and backstabbers - you are going to love him (enjoy your job), work the hell out of his ass in the bedroom (enjoy making your publications in your office) and enjoy the riches of your life (get that new paycheck) ie make that money. If all this is the perfect job and they hired you - THEN YOU ARE THE PERFECT PERSON. Get out of the slump and hold your head up and DO the DAMN THANG!!!
Love ya,
ME
i'm so happy for you, nic. i know you're scared and unsure, but just know that you've got the goods. believe it, sista!

i'm sure you'll continue to have doubts until the unknown is known, so i won't try to snap you out of it. i'll just say that regardless of what trepidation you feel towards this move, it was a necessary move to make. from here, you're gonna shine that light even brighter, and there are so many people there who will benefit from that light.
@ ChezNiki – Thanks! No time off. I actually start TOMORROW

@ Shawn – Thanks so much for your confidence in me!

@ ME – LOL, Thanks for the advice. You’re right, but it is just still unbelievable!

@ Nikki – Yes, this was a necessary move for me to make. There was no way that I could let this opportunity pass me by! Thanks for the encouragement.
Congrats on the new J! I agree with the anonymous poster up there^^. "If ... they hired you, THEN YOU ARE THE PERFECT PERSON" for the job! THINK confident and exude that. Don't let self-doubt linger for even a second. I'm sure you will do wonderfully--maybe even better than you ever expected. God gave you this for a reason. So just "shine."
It's normal to feel those mixed emotions,it comes with the territory. Stop asking what if this and that ain't right!!!! You're the woman for this position if you weren't,you would not have it. If something ain't right at the new gig, do what you can to make it right and keep it moving. Take names/numbers/email addys of the folk you really want to keep up with at the old gig and KIT. Yeah you won't see there face everyday but yall can still do lunch! You will be just fine. Like someone else said, make sure you relax and enjoy yourself before you walk in for your first day.
@ OneCool -- Thanks for the vote of confidence! I am trying to think positive and you're right, its probably even better than you ever expected

@ Ladynay -- Yes, I will try very hard to relax tonight. I'm going to have two glasses of wine and try to go to bed early as possible.
wow, first congrats on tha new gig...
you been wanting it and you have now been blessed.

i understand the feeling...i was tryna move and then when the move was definite...i approched it with serious trepidation...even tho it was what I wanted.

now that i have moved...i feel better, i'm getting accostumed.

change is always uncomfortable...always, but what is on the other side of change almost always is better. continue to b blessed!
Dont let fear rob you of the success you have coming!
@ Diamonds R&C – Thanks! It does make me feel better to know that someone can relate to how I’m feeling. I’m trying to get my mind together so that I can get some rest before my big day.

@ Jaimie – Thank you very much! I’m looking forward to the “good things” to!

@ Brother Buck – Excellent point!
I just wanted to thank everyone for all of the encouraging words. I just can't even express how much your confidence in my success means to me.

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!!!

Thanks again!

Tomorrow is my big day, so wish me luck!
Good luck in your new job... would it be necessary to change your occupation field on your blog profile?
Thanks Crallspace!!

I already did it about a week ago, LOL, so what you see there is my current job doing the Chronic Disease Prog Eval.
  At 12/15/2005 10:31 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
Hey Gurl,

i just missed ya!! I just wanted to let you know that you were in my prayers tonight and always. I will miss seeing your bright and shining smile everyday. U have the BEST facial expressions!! I'll miss you being there to cheer me up! But, I know we are tight like that and we'll stay close! Gotta get to that movie, lol!!! You are going to knock DOH's shoes off. U are sooo Intelligent. I admire so many things about you. I thank God i had the opportunity to meet you. Keep ure head up, you got this!!!

Love ya, Gurl!!
Good luck sounds interesting and challenging.
I am sure we will haer some of it on the blog. hope so.
Good luck in your new job! I understand that it is hard to leave your comfort zone, but you never know there can always be better things out there! I know that is the way it was for me, when I left my job I had for 6 years! You might be worried about how it will be and think that it could never measure up to your current job, but you have to dispell those thoughts becasue a negative attitude can hinder your progress! You are got your dream job! How many people can say they are doing their DREAM job? You will be fine! :)
  At 12/16/2005 9:31 AM Anonymous Anonymous said:
GOOD LUCK NIC in all of your future endeavors. Uncertainty always causes fear, but this is one hurdle that you will conquer and will be successful in your climb to the top! I want to hear how your first day went!
Chocolate Drop
CONGRADULATIONS, MOVING ON LIKE THE JEFFERSONS!
Well I'm late, I gotta add you to my page! You're at the new gig today. I'm glad you allowed yourself to feel all the fear and anxiety...we in blogland know you're a fun sista and you're infectious with it. You'll be the life of the party at the new job in no time...and if they're boring, you'll bring them to life :)

Congratulations sis.
Congrats, girl!! Go ahead, step over all those strange feelings, and do the darn thing!
Interesting cartoon and I can understand the various emotions, who wouldn't feel all those things.
Familiarity is comfortable. But change is good.

Good luck with the new gig doll. ;o)
Congratulations!!
Lol Jacque.
Congrats on the new job. Starting on a Friday?

I know that you are the perfect person for the job and that's why they picked you. You have to tell us about how your first day went.
You've been tagged!
See my blog post called, "Tagging 23:5" on December 16, 2005 for rules and regulations. Happy Holidays!
I did not get to check my comments from work today, LOL. I'm too new to be surfing the net at the new gig just yet, hahaha!

But I do want to thank everyone for the warm wishes!

I made it through my first day sucessfully and I will be posting the details tomorrow.

Thanks Guys!!!
I was sitting here tapping my feet waiting....LOL. You know I aint got nuffin else to do right now.
sorry i'm the last to comment...

glad you enjoyed your first day at work. yes, it'll be hard getting used to being the new kid on the block, but don't sweat it. just knowing your personality, you'll have everyone singing your tune within a month tops. everything's scary at first, it's nothing you can't handle. you've been blessed with a wonderful opportunity.

girl take your, bow!!
Thanks B-N-B

It doesn't matter if you are first or last, I really appreciate the comment.

Take care!
@ Accomplice -- you are tripping, LOL.

Can't wait to c-ya for Christmas babee. We are going to have fun in ATL this year!
You will do well. Your new job sounds exciting. Whenever we start new things it's always difficult. This is because we are usually intimidated by the unknown. It's hard leaving friends and your comfort zone. Once on that new job you'll build the same type relationships.....