Reminiscing on the Music!

Monday, November 21, 2005

What does the music remind you of?

When I went out to the club a few nights ago, the DJ started playing some of those old school jamz that just made me start thinking about those good ole days when I was in undergrad and used to go clubbin’ on the regular. It’s like as soon as they started playing “Shake What Ya Mama Gave Ya” by the Poison Clan, I was like damnnnnnnn, that is one of my songs right there! Haaaaaay…. You know down here in Florida we love that “Booty Shakin' Bass” music, LOL.

When I think about the music that defined my college dayz, these are the songs that come to
mind:


~The Year Was 1991~


The group was Jodeci w/Forever My Lady. When they dropped this album I was oh so in love with Mr. Dalvin. I still remember that Diary of a Mad Band album in 1993. Loved it!




~The Year Was 1992~


In 1992, I was a sophomore in college and there were a gazillion songs that I fell in love with that year. But a few that stand out in my mind are the Chronic by Dre (Entire Album), “Baby Got Back” by Sir Mix Alot, and “End of the Road” by Boy II Men.



~The Year Was 1993~


From this year I remember Gin and juice by Snoop. I think this was his first album. This is also when Whitney Houston was still in her prime and singing “I will always love you”.





“Freak Me” by Silk ….. ~Sigh~ ….. Now of all these songs, this is the one song that brings back the most memories. This was me and college boyfriend’s song child. I will never forget when he called my house one night when I was still living w/my mother. This crazy boy called our house and leaves a message on the answering machine (that I share with my mother). We come in the house and my mom begins to play the messages and all I heard was, “Nicki, this is for you…..”. The next thing I hear is …. “Let me lick you up and down, till you say stop. Let me play with your body baby, make you real hot….”. In front of my mother….aaaaarrggghhhhhhh! I was so embarrassed I did not know what to do. He called me last week to let me know that he had not forgotten that I had a birthday and do you know he mentioned that song to me? All I can do is
smile on that one……



~Scarred by Luke~


When this song came on, everybody ran to the dance floor, including my ass. I remember back in 1995 (when I was a supa senior in college) all my friends knew that this was my damn song boy!

~New Orleans Bounce~

#1 4-Eva Ya Dig


Even though I live in Florida now, I could neva forget where um from and what I grew up on ya dig?

For years the New Orleans Bounce music has truly defined my love for music. DJ Jubilee, dem Cash Money Record boys (Lil Wayne, Manny Fresh, Baby), B.G., Mystikal, Master P, Juvie w/dat 400 Degrees, aww man they wrecked the South!

Even till this day I still love anything with that New Orleans bounce style beat. Oooooh and I remember back in the day, I would have had all Master P's babies........










But now David is my new baby daddy!!!


What music defined your college days or other part of your life? What songs take you back to another time and place when you hear them today?




Nicoletta

"N" Search of Ecstasy

"If you see someone without a smile today, give them one of yours!








 
posted by Superstar Nic at 10:33 PM, |

15 Comments:

  At 11/21/2005 10:40 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
the jodeci reminds me of when music was music and people could actually sing. but ain't nothin like some good ole yin yang twins!
Cec, I completely agree and ya know I luv dem damn twins to ... I think another video from ying yang is in order after I finish my dedication to N.O.L.A, lol.

U no weez still 504 girls, no matter where this life takes us, ya dig?!!

7th ward babee!

I guess yall can tell this 32 y/o PhD student will ALWAYZ be GHETTO, dats why I-BE-PHD!
  At 11/21/2005 11:10 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
Hmmm, let's see. Jodeci for sure. Keith Sweat, En Vogue, Shy, Boyz II Men, "Bitch Better Have My Money by AMG, definitely Luther Vandross...Oh the New Orleans sh*t for sure. Whatever I could P-pop to on the dance floor. Uh huh, you brought me way back to the MD 20/20 days and then to the club to shake my a$$. Ahhhh, the good ole days. But, there aint nothing like some good old Frankie Beverly and Maze for me. I'm N'awlins homegrown too, ya know? LOL
Laptop Cutie, you know I have been on this wine tonight, so the shit you talkin is eXtra funny, ha!

If you leave my site up, I have a N.O. video play list going girl Juve, Big Tymers, BG, etc!

Excerpt from Video #2
You ain't scared, ha, you know how to play it, ha? I know you ain't gon' let somebody come 'n punk you, ha? Stand 'n front ya, ha? Straight up run ya, ha? You know I got dat fire green, ha?
Yes, I remember rollin through McDonalds drive asking for 3 cups of ice for me in my girls to drink our MD 20/20 to, lol
  At 11/22/2005 12:25 AM Anonymous Anonymous said:
D'Angelo (How Does It Feel?)in
1999. It was my freshman year at Morehouse. You would definitely hear this song in the halls of LLC during the very few visitation hours we had freshman year.
Okay I am mad that Mad Dog 20/20 has Fruit Flavors. What they gonna have next, Chocolate flavored NightTrain? Citrus Thunderbird??? LOL!
I'll be dating my self with this one but it's gotta be 360 (What Comes Around) by Grand Puba. That whole era of hip hop is my college shit.

KZ
Gurl I got 215 of the songs of my life currently and I intend to live each and every moment for a long time to come, lol lol.

Umm Ummm - lt's next blog on polygomy because DAVID BANNER IS MY BABY DADDDDDDDDDDDYYYYYYYYY!!!

Well okay - he's my "pam you like him" baby daddy cause I've been known to get faint over the more metrosexual brotha myself, lol
  At 11/22/2005 11:21 AM Anonymous Anonymous said:
MURDER WAS THE CASE SOUNDTRACK
1994 (Sophomore Year)

ME AND THE FELLA'S SITTIN IN THE DORM ROOM BUMPIN THE WHOLE SOUNDTRACK BUZZIN ON THE CHRONIC
  At 11/22/2005 11:24 AM Anonymous Anonymous said:
Oh So Many To Choose From...

1996 (Freshman Year)
Freshman Year it was "Put It In Your Mouth," "Pony," "One In A Million," "Elevators"...

Sophomore Year
"Tear The Club Up" & "Uhhh" at Romantic interlude.... We are all dressed in semi-formal attire, but when they played those 2 songs (back to back) people started picking up chairs, dancing like we was gonna win a contest...that was a night to remember!

Junior Year
Every girl at Spelman College had a copy of The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. "Ex-Factor" & "Nothing Really Matters" are still 2 of my favs...other favs was Juve's 400 Degrees, I got introduced to Pastor Troy that year to.

Senior Week at the Zoobar (the Crunkest time I have ever had) I just remember hearing "Do It" (by Rasheedah), "Get Your Roll On," "Big Pimpin," "Shake em Off," "Hot Girl," & the ultimate club banger of that year "We Ready"
  At 11/22/2005 11:33 AM Anonymous Anonymous said:
Scarred by Luke was my jam to!
It was my Senior Year (1996) and when that song came on, we was just like you, everybody ran to the dancefloor! We all would be jammin girl!

I also remember slow grindin' to that Keith Sweat, lol.

Other good days favs include:
1. Everything by Mary J. Blige
2. Mariah Carey – “Love Takes Time” – Oh I’ve cried to this one so many times!
3. 8ball & MJG
4. 112 – “Cupid”
5. 2 Live Crew – Everything was jammin’ back in the day!
6. Cash Money Brothers - Everything
Okay so Im about to date myself over here. But my most memorable song would have to be, "I Wanna" or "I Want Her" by Keith Sweat, his first hit and a big hit in the clubs in New York. It was the end of 1987, I took one semester in New York City, where I met D. I would club with A, D and em. Me and D were crushing on eachother but hadn't done the deed yet. But one night we all went to the California Club and Keith Sweat's song came on. I rubbed my booty on D for about twelve minutes (some ol New York live MasterMix). Afterwards he was dazed, confused and smiling. We knew right then...by hook or by crook, it was on! By Christmas that fantabulous curved jimmy was all mine! So that would have to be the most memorable song, because it brings back good memories of New York City, D and 'oscar.' :-D
Yall, I am lovin' this reminiscing!

@Knockout - Yeah sounds like you are right along in there with me, cause Grand Puba 360 was out in the early 90s right?!!

@Niki - I think we all that one of those kinda stories, don't we... and yes, Mad Dog 20/20 does have fruit flavors, lol

@Pammie - I see will are still going to be fighting over David, lol
let's see...i was at famu at the time, so that was jodeci and clay d. ohhh...and doodoo brown...bitch betta have my money...i'll think of some more after a while. BOY, do i miss being at famu. those were the days!

and zed got that puba down. i remember that ish, too.