Go Red For Women Day

Wednesday, February 01, 2006



You may be seeing red this Friday February 3rd. That's because it's Go Red For Women Day. The American Heart Association is urging everyone to wear red today for heart disease awareness month. The Go Red For Women movement gives women the power to significantly reduce their risks of heart disease and live a long, healthy life. So put your hand over your heart -- and make a promise to be heart healthy.

It's a festive color. It's February. Valentine’s Day is around the corner. It's all about the heart! The color red stands for passion, strength and empowerment, and the red dress symbolizes all of this. So by wearing red on Friday, heart healthy advocates say you're encouraging women to take charge of their health and ultimately helping to defeat what has become a major health threat.

Heart disease is the number one killer of women over the age of 25. One out of two women in the United States will die of heart disease or stroke. In the United States, black women, aged 35 to 74, have a 71 percent greater death rate for coronary heart disease (CHD).

Wear red for your mothers, sisters, nieces, cousins, friends, and for yourself. Help to raise awareness about this disease so that we can longer healthier lives! This is important, so just do it okay!

I'll be wearing my red on Friday, will you?






Additional Resources:

Preventing Heart Disease and Stroke

National Wear Red Day!

Heart Disease and Stroke

Health Problems in African American Women

Know your health numbers






This is Superstar Nic

Still "N" Search of Ecstasy and I'm out!

"If you see someone without a smile today, give them one of yours!"

 
posted by Superstar Nic at 10:47 PM, |

17 Comments:

Thanks for the info Nic. Red is my favorite color and I'll wear it proudly on Friday.
Great!

I'm so glad to hear that. Raising awareness about the #1 killer in our country is so important. Spread the word!

Thanks!
Hey, I'm down! I like red anyway. Glad you brought this to my attention. Thanx!
good cause -- i'll tell my friends about this.
I just learned something new! I didn't know Feb was heart awareness month too! I will try to remember to wear red tomorrow.
It's always good to learn something new! I will wear my red with pride!
u learn something new everyday! as long as i remember (my memory is the WORST!) i'll wear red..
I think I will break out my red on Friday... Thanx for the info!
I wish I would have seen this last night! I got RED on today! It is my favorite color by the way. I guess I could try to come up with another outfit with RED in it tomorrow. :)

Good post about womens health, it is something we should all pay attention to.
Yes I will be all decked out in red..
  At 2/02/2006 3:41 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
Thanks for the info. I'll be wearing red.
I'm gonna wear my red boxers. ;o)
Great post and I'll be wearing something red.
i'll have to renig...

Please pass on (spread the word nationwide): Black attire Friday,

February 3!!!

"Mrs. King was more than Dr. King's widow: She was a living symbol of what he fought and died for. With the passing of Rosa Parks and so many others, for many Mrs. King was the last real icon of the Civil Rights movement. The best way for all of us to honor their memory is to remember what they worked so hard to achieve and to exercise our political power the way we know they'd want us to."

- Tom Joyner





In honor of Coretta Scott King, some churches, radio stations, and politicians are asking that we wear black on Friday (Feb. 3) to show that the fight that King fought was not in vain. With a new Supreme Court potentially emerging in the wake of the confirmation of Justice Alito on the same day of her passing, this effort is intended to show unity of mind and purpose. Please pass the word to family and friends
thanks for that. i knew about it being the number one killer of women, but i didn't know it was wear red day! i'll be rockin mine tomorrow. i love red anyway.
I'm glad that everyone is feeling this campaign. I guess that is except for TTD (smile).

TTD - I gotta show my support for "Go Red" tomorrow. I'm a public health professional, I do heart disease program evaluation and research. My grandmother and aunt died of heart attacks!

Girl, I MUST!!! I wouldn't have it any other way. No offense to Mrs. King (may she rest in peace).
  At 2/03/2006 10:55 AM Anonymous Anonymous said:
I will be wearing my red today...in support of all that runs in my family