R.I.P. Gerald Levert

Friday, November 10, 2006
Gerald Levert: 1966 - 2006

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



When I got home from the grocery store today I received a call from my sister as I was putting away the groceries. She had been riding and listening to the radio when she heard the news of Gerald Levert dying of an apparent heart attack.

I was stunned.

I had to stop what I was doing and take a sit for a moment. As I heard those words I just felt this great since of sadness. I honestly loved Gerald Levert. He was one of my favorite R&B singers. He had the most sultry, soulful voice. It seems like such a lost.

I felt sad for his family and his friends. The man had four children and I really felt bad for his father. It has to be one of the most awful feelings in the world for someone to loose a child. It just doesnt seem natural for the child to die before the parent.

Damn!


A Message From Nic

This man was only 40 years old. Dead of a heart attack?!?!!?

Being that I work with the Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention program here in Florida I just have to take the time to talk to anyone that is reading this post. It is becoming more and more common for people especially blacks to die of heart attacks, but listen when I tell you that it doesnt have to be this way!

My people we (myself included) have GOT TO start taking better care of ourselves and paying better attention to our bodies and the warning signs.

We have got to live right, eat right, stop smoking, and exercise more.

There is NO reason for us to be dying off so young. I had two family members to die in their 50s of heart attacks and that is still too young to die, especially from a disease that is preventable.

I am not trying to preach. I am just trying to do my part as a health educator and spread the word about heart attack prevention and share with you the signs and symptom.

Here are signs that can mean a heart attack is happening:

Chest discomfort. Most heart attacks involve discomfort in the center of the chest that lasts more than a few minutes, or that goes away and comes back. It can feel like uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain.

Discomfort in other areas of the upper body. Symptoms can include pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach.

Shortness of breath. May occur with or without chest discomfort.

Other signs: These signs may include breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness.

And ALWAYS remember to call 9-1-1!


For more information on Heart Disease Prevention/Screening:

ABCs of Preventing Heart Disease, Stroke and Heart Attack (American Heart Association)

Heart Attack Symptoms: Know What Signals a Medical Emergency (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)

Heart Attack: Warning Signs and Tips on Prevention (American Academy of Family Physicians)Also available in: Spanish

MedlinePlus: Heart Diseases--Prevention (National Library of Medicine)Also available in: Spanish


This is Superstar Nic


Still "N" Search of Ecstasy and I'm out!

"If you see someone without a smile today, give them one of yours!"
 
posted by Superstar Nic at 11:09 PM, |

4 Comments:

  At 11/11/2006 11:11 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
Girl, I was stunned as well. It almost seems surreal. I know he is human just like to rest of us but I think because it was unexpected is why I was stunned. I feel really bad for his father and children. As a parent, it is my worst fear to lose my son before I go. No parent wants to bury their child. My heart goes out to him.



Thanks for the information on heart disease. It is serious.
  At 11/11/2006 11:11 PM Anonymous Anonymous said:
thanks sistagirl
that was beautiful
a lot of great info as well
you’re a doll
I am feelin' you on this post. For some reason African American are not taking care of themselves the way that we should. I am also a healthcare worker and I must admit that I am also guilty of the same thing. It does seem like we are dying younger and younger. I lost my mother when she was only 45 years old. She also had a heart problem. Then 2 years after that my uncle, her brother also passed. He was only 43. My grandmother lost both of her children within a two year time frame.

My heart definitely went out to his children and his father.I also loved him. I though he was extremely talented. What a waste!

R.I.P
Sooo sad.

RIP G. Levert